Dean of faculty of Engineering
Canadian Institute of Technology (CIT) is among the few Universities of Albania teaching in English, committed to prepare its graduates who are able to develop values, skills and knowledge that they need to shape their lives, careers, and societies. To accomplish this, CIT is dedicated to offer excellent teaching programs, prepare career-oriented graduates, provide a teaching-learning environment and encourage research linked to community and society needs. Key to achieving the goal, CIT considers attracting and hiring qualified faculty and staff and providing them with safe and supportive work environment.
The college promotes students’ self-motivation to excel and guides them toward professional careers and entrepreneurship in an environment of life-long learning
Job Description Summary
The University seeks a dynamic individual who will provide leadership, vision, and the ability to effectively engage faculty, staff, students, and external constituencies. The Dean of Engineering is expected to lead and advocate for CIT while working collaboratively with the administration, faculty, staff, and students. Successful candidates will demonstrate commitment to providing a high quality, culturally inclusive, and equitable learning environment for a diverse student body; a commitment to facilitating grants and philanthropic contributions in support of teaching, advising, research, and scholarly activities; and a commitment to strategic actions to ensure that the CIT can fulfill its mission. CIT is a unique college oriented to consistently garners sizable external funding.
CIT is seeking to hire a qualified candidate as a DEAN OF ENGINEERING FACULTY with the following criteria:
- Applicants will have an earned Associate Professor or Professor Title, from an accredited institution, in COMPUTER ENGINEERING, IT, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING, TELECOMUNICATIONS or closely related fields and a record of excellence in scholarship, teaching and service that would ensure eligibility for tenure at CIT.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in teaching.
- Experience in leading positions (Head of Department, Dean) or equivalent at higher education institutions.
- Written and spoken fluency in English Language
- Evidence of a commitment to shared governance and the ability to work transparently, collaboratively, and effectively with other administrators, students, faculty, and staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES, DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts effectively and work within a collective.
– Evidence of success in efforts to recruit and retain a diverse population of students, staff, and faculty.
– Evidence of success in strategic planning, budget responsibility, and management of physical and human resources including faculty, staff, and facilities.
– Evidence of success in contributing to university-wide accreditation, curriculum review, and development.
– Evidence of support for faculty research as well as student research experiences and experiential learning opportunities.
- Evidence of successful communication and collaboration with the typical divisions found in university structures, and local and regional businesses, industry, government agencies, and tribal nations.
- Evidence of supporting and strengthening Masters-level graduate programs.
– A record of significant and successful administrative leadership, as a dean or director, chair or equivalent in higher education with evidence of a commitment to advancing the quality of undergraduate and graduate/professional instruction.
– Experience in developing and growing graduate programs, in particular “self- support” programs.
– Successful administrative or leadership experience and significant budgetary responsibility.
– A record of promoting excellence in scholarship, teaching, public service, and outreach activities.
– A deep understanding of education and educational systems in Albania, North America and beyond.
– Strong management, communication, and fundraising skills.
– Evidence of and commitment to collaborative and consultative decision-making.
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment of shared governance.
– The capacity to relate effectively to faculty, staff, students and external constituencies.
– A demonstrated commitment to increase the diversity of students, faculty and staff, to equal employment opportunity, affirmative action and non-discriminatory practices, and to fostering an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment.
– External fund raising experience and knowledge.
– Experience in recruiting undergraduate and graduate students.
– Excellent record of publications.
– Proven ability and commitment to work collaboratively with people across a range of differences and with a diverse range of disciplines and groups.
– Excellent record of funding from projects, agencies and industry, funded research center director etc.
– An understanding of and appreciation for the diverse missions and constituencies of this university.
– An understanding and appreciation of the breadth of activities that take place in the institution.
– An understanding and appreciation of the methodological diversity of educational research.
– Proven ability to promote a working environment among faculty and staff that rewards new ideas and innovation, builds collaboration, encourages teamwork and promotes diversity.
The Dean of Engineering will provide leadership to students, faculty and staff that fosters and sustains college-wide excellence in teaching, research and service, and prepares and supports a professional workforce. Working with the University’s leadership, the Dean of Engineering will foster collaboration among faculty and deans and thereby play an important role in the growth and advancement of the University. The Dean will work with the faculty to articulate a vision for the College and work with the Rector of the University to implement that vision. This will require actively participating in fundraising efforts, recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty, strengthening undergraduate and graduate educational programs, and creating a research environment that supports the creativity and innovation of faculty. The Dean will manage college resources to achieve the teaching, research and service mission. Finally, the dean will oversee the daily operations of CIT, including supervision and support of academic and research faculty, staff and students. Development and execution of the college’s strategic initiatives and contribution to the university’s long-term cultivation is necessary.
Faculty’s Strategic Plan. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for leading the Engineering Faculty and managing its resources to accomplish its teaching, research and service mission;
- Personnel Management (e.g. attract and retain excellent and diverse faculty and staff; support faculty development and teaching excellence; review faculty and staff for retention and promotion);
- Academic and Curricular Planning (e.g. support curriculum and program development, policy design, and implementation; provide leadership in assessment);
- Resource Management (e.g. administer staffing and physical resources, including those for instruction and research);
- Advancement (e.g. develop and promote community and faculty relations; facilitate external funding and grants);
- Enrollment Management (e.g. support student recruitment and retention; actively engage faculty and staff in identifying best practices; analyze and develop strategies to diversify campus).
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., with a lunch break from 12.00 to 12.30, however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format at email@example.com, witting on the subject their name and the position they are applying for:
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- A statement of leadership philosophy
- Names/contact information for at least five (5) professional references who can speak to your qualifications for the position
- An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Evidence of required degree(s), certifications(s), or licenses(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. A background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) must be completed satisfactorily as a condition of employment. Adverse findings from a background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CIT employees who apply for the position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.